Saturday, July 27, 2013

Review: Beautiful Music For Ugly Children

Beautiful Music For Ugly Children
Kristen Cronn-Mills
262 pages (Paperback)
Flux Publishing

Blurb:

"This is Beautiful Music for Ugly Children, on community radio 90.3, KZUK. I'm Gabe. Welcome to my show."

My birth name is Elizabeth, but I'm a guy. Gabe. My parents think I've gone crazy and the rest of the world is happy to agree with them, but I know I'm right. I've been a boy my whole life.

When you think about it, I'm like a record. Elizabeth is my A side, the song everybody knows, and Gabe is my B side -- not heard as often, but just as good.

It's time to let my B side play.


Review:
 

Fair warning, if you're not fond of the Transgender community then you most likely won't enjoy this book. I enjoyed this book very much not only because I think that Kristin is a wonderful writer but I also support the LGBT Community. LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Community, which is all about celebrating pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality. 

Gabe is a teenage transgender female to male, who is still stuck in his female body. Elizabeth is his female side, his birth gender, and his A side. This is what most people know him by but he prefers his B side, Gabe. Gabe loves music and aspires to be a big time DJ. His neighbor, John, gets him a small DJing job at a local radio station at night and this is where Gabe comes to life. 

Throughout  his senior year Gabe faces many difficulties and emotional traumas, with trying to get his family to understand him to figuring out what he's gonna do with his life. I feel that many teenagers can relate to Gabe. Sure, not all of us are transgenders but we're trying to understand who we are and figure out what we are meant to do in this world. 

I had the pleasure to meet Kristin on April sixth of this year at a book festival here in Saint Peter, Minnesota. Jordyn and Michaela, the other admins on this blog, and I were able to talk to her. I do think this is a well written book and I'm glad I came across it while at the book festival. 

I give this book a level four hangover.     

No comments:

Post a Comment