Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Review: Geek High

Geek High 
Piper Banks
242 pages (paperback)
NAL Trade
Goodreads -  Amazon - Barnes&Noble

Blurb: 

At this school, everyone's a geek. And Miranda Bloom still can't fit in...

Miranda is a math genius with divorced parents, an evil stepmother, and no boyfriend in sight. She can't even fit in with the other geeks at the Nottingham Independent School for high-IQ students, because they actually have useful talents. Miranda, on the other hand, is known as "The Human Calculator," which doesn't amount to much when people have, you know, their own calculators.

Then Miranda gets stuck planning the school's Snowflake Gala. And as she struggles to find a date and drum up some school spirit at Nottingham-aka "Geek High"-she finds that who you are means more than where you fit in. 

Review: 

Here I am again with another teen/YA book, this week it's Geek High. My mother bought me this book for my birthday back in 2012 and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Enough that I wrote a review for my English class that same year. It follows the first semester of her sophmore year in high school, hitting all the highs and lows hat come with it. 

I liked how realistic the story line is. Parents are divorced, mother moves for a job and daughter has to move in with her dad. Totally plausable in the real world. The main character, Miranda, had a very believable personality and many of the things that she does throughout the story follow what an actual teenage girl would do. Character development of the supporting characters is moderately high, and I mean that in a good way. 

I would say that Geek High would be an enjoyable read for anyone who likes reading YA stories, and teenage girls may be able to relate to many of the twist and turns that miranda goes through. it's a great weekend read, but I would say you may want to be on the mature side, like 13 or older, as mature content is mentioned. 

Overall, I would give Geek High a level 4 hangover out of 5. 


Want to purchase the book? Check out the links at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment