Friday, November 15, 2013

Review: The Brightest Kind of Darkness

Brightest Kind of Darkness
P.T. Michelle
357 Kindle Edition
Patrice Michelle
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes&Noble

Blurb: 

Nara Collins is an average sixteen-year-old, with one exception: every night she dreams the events of the following day. Due to an incident in her past, Nara avoids using her special gift to change fate…until she dreams a future she can’t ignore.

After Nara prevents a bombing at Blue Ridge High, her ability to see the future starts to fade, while people at school are suddenly being injured at an unusually high rate.

Grappling with her diminishing powers and the need to prevent another disaster, Nara meets Ethan Harris, a mysterious loner who seems to understand her better than anyone. Ethan and Nara forge an irresistible connection, but as their relationship heats up, so do her questions about his dark past.
  


Review: 

I've been waiting to read this book for such a long time, and I'm glad I finally got the chance. I'd heard a lot of good things about it, and I can say that I agree with most of them.

Brightest Kind of Darkness has such an original plot. I haven't read anything like it before. I really enjoyed the whole idea of Nara (love her name, by the way) dreaming her whole day the night before. But it didn't take long before things were changing. We didn't get a complete explanation as to why Nara started losing her dreams, although we did learn what happened to them. I can't wait to read the next book so I can learn more about what was going on. One of my favorite things was the repercussions that Nara caused by changing Fate. It was so logical that there something should happen when someone tries to mess with destiny. And it added a feeling of suspense while I wondered what was going to go wrong next.

I really loved all of the characters in this novel. They were all fresh and unique and I couldn't help but picture myself in Nara's position. And let me say, Nara was an amazing heroine. She tried so hard to help others, even though it could only affect her negatively some of the times. She was a very strong heroine and I loved her for that. Another character I really enjoyed was Nara's aunt Sage. Aunt Sage was that aunt that everybody wants. She was understanding, knew how to bake and make an awesome meal, and was willing to listen to Nara and support her when needed. The other character I feel I need to mention is Ethan. The love interest. Ethan was the perfect compliment to Nara's happiness and lightness, because he was all shadows and mental demons (with an interesting twist). But he wasn't sulky or gloomy. He was just trying to live his life as best as he could, which I loved.

The only complaint I have with this book is that it felt like Nara and Ethan started caring about each other very suddenly, but that might just be me. It didn't really bother me very much though because they progressed slowly and had a few obstacles along the way. There relationship was very sweet and I really liked that they had so much in common.

Overall, I give it a hangover level of 4 out of 5.

Want to purchase the book? Check out the links at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment